Everything You Need to Know About THC Capsules
THC capsules are unique in that they provide an intense high in the form of a pill. They’re available at medical marijuana dispensaries, and you can even make your weed capsules at home. Here is everything you need to know about this new method of treatment.
What Are THC Capsules Or Pills?
THC capsules are simply an extracted form of marijuana or weed. The capsules contain a variety of THC products they can be decarboxylated flowers or oil. They may have a single cannabinoid or the entire spectrum of compounds found in the source cannabis plant.
THC pills are generally made up of a concentrated cannabinoid in a gelatin capsule. The concentrate is frequently combined with vegetable oil, most commonly coconut oil with a medium-chain triglyceride. Because THC is not water-soluble, combining the extract with a fat of some sort aids in the cannabinoid’s digestion.
The Shell of Capsule
Gelatin, Hypromellose, and pullulan are the three most common types of capsule shells. Gelatin capsules are made from beef by-products, whereas Hypromellose and pullulan, both vegetarian options, are made from non-toxic plant derivatives and fungal fermentation.
Types Of THC Pills
Marijuana capsules come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Here are some of the terms you’ll see on capsule packaging, along with their definitions.
1. Crystalline Form
A crystalline state is a powdered form that looks like table salt or sugar. Crystalline capsules are made up of nearly 100 percent pure powdered cannabinoids and are frequently available in THA or CBDA-only formulas, allowing medical patients to consume marijuana without getting high. During the extraction process, terpenes, minor cannabinoids, and plant matter are removed from cannabis, leaving only the preferred molecule.
Full-spectrum cannabis capsules include terpenes, cannabinoids, and everything else found in the cannabis plant. Patients can make full-spectrum cannabis capsules without any additives by using decarboxylated flower or infused oil bases.
3. Both THC and CBD in Specific Ratios
Different ratios of THC and CBD in capsules work to enhance potential medicinal effects while also modulating intoxicating impacts to meet the needs of each patient. CBD-infused capsules may provide relief while reducing the adverse effects of THC, making the medication more tolerable for new or sensitive patients.
The distillate is a runny liquid similar to crystalline in that it is made through a distillation process. Its purity ranges from 85 to 95 percent of one cannabinoid — usually CBD or THC — and terpenes from the cannabis plant are occasionally reintroduced into the final product.
Distillate’s cannabinoids are decarboxylated, allowing users to experience some of the same intoxicating effects as inhaling weed smoke or eating THC-infused edibles. THC pills derived from distillate usually contain only THC and no other compounds or terpenes.
5. Decarboxylated Flower
Heating cannabis flowers to activate certain cannabinoids is known as decarboxylation. Decarboxylation is required to convert non-intoxicating THCA into intoxicating THC or inactive CBDA into active CBD in cannabis flower. You can get the entourage effect without smoking weed by ingesting decarboxylated weed in capsule form.
How Do THC Pills Interact With The Body
Instant capsules function in the same way that edibles do. Your stomach absorbs cannabinoids after entering your body through your mouth. In the case of THC pills, your liver metabolizes THC into 11-hydroxy-THC, which has a longer half-life and a more sedative effect than THC.
Time-release capsules digest and metabolize the same way as regular capsules, but the impacts are delayed or drawn out. Like hydrogels, capsule shells engineered with liposomes and drug-polymer conjugates allow for controlled release of their contents. These inert and protective ingredients neutralize stomach acid, allowing THC or CBD to enter the bloodstream at a slower rate.
Make Your THC Capsules At Home
You can either make the cannabis pills by using cannabis oil or using a decarboxylated flower. If your stomach is sensitive, it is best to stick with the oil one.
Method 1. THC or Cannabis Oil Capsules
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- While your weed is still fresh, grind it.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread the ground flower.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the flower for 30 minutes.
- Cook for an hour or more with the baked weed in a simmering pot of coconut or olive oil.
- Allow the mixture to cool before using a dropper to fill empty gelatin capsule shells with the cannabis-infused oil.
You can also accelerate the process by purchasing a cannabis oil tincture and filling empty capsules with your desired dose.
Method 2. Decarboxylated Flowers Capsules
To make flower-filled THC capsules, simply decarboxylate your flower according to the instructions above. Rather than soaking the flower in oil, fill capsule shells with the flower using tweezers or a capsule filling machine. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions if you’re using a machine.
Benefits Of Having THC Or Weed Capsules
- Though there is no direct link between marijuana use and lung cancer, some users would instead not take the chance and prefer taking THC in capsule form. Capsules are generally more powerful and last longer.
- They are also more discrete: users could take a pill in a social setting without their companions noticing. The pill is also a more accessible option for patients because they are already familiar with taking drugs, unlike smoking or vaping.
- Because there is no smoke, pills or capsules are a much more subtle way to consume cannabis. The tablets also lack the strong smell of delicate herb, further enhancing their discretion.
- THC pills can also help with dosing. While determining the amount of THC in a homemade weed capsule can be difficult, most commercial options have been formulated and lab tested for potency. This makes it simple to determine how much THC is consumed, which is crucial for medical marijuana patients and those with a low tolerance.
- Patients can accurately know how much THC they’re consuming with THC pills, which is challenging with tinctures or flowers. This method of administration also reduces the common respiratory side effects associated with cannabis users.
- In addition, THC in pills or capsules does not contain the fat and sugar found in many cannabis edibles, making it essential for people with diabetes and those who want to keep their intake of calories under control.
Drawbacks Of Having THC Capsules
- The cannabis pills can be costly, except you make your capsules. A bottle of twenty pills can easily cost more than $100. However, because they are generally potent and have long-lasting effects, getting an excellent medicinal or recreational dose doesn’t take much.
- Weed capsules, like cannabis edibles, can take a long time to kick in—45 minutes to 2 hours, or even longer. The body converts THC into a different form known as 11-Hydroxy-THC before you feel the effects of the pills.
- The fastest-acting nature of smoking or vaping THC is the primary benefit for those suffering from pain and discomfort. Users can also quickly increase their dosage by taking a few extra puffs instead of an entire pill.
- While marijuana withdrawal symptoms aren’t harmful in and of themselves, they are incredibly unpleasant. The longer someone uses marijuana, the more likely they will develop physical and psychological symptoms like headaches, loss of appetite, sleep problems, weight loss, etc.
How To Take THC Capsule?
You already know what to expect from THC pills if you’ve tried cannabis edibles. If you’re unfamiliar with either of these cannabis products, keep in mind that each person’s liver metabolizes compounds differently, which is why edibles and THC pills can have different effects on different people.
Depending on the ingredients in the capsule, THC pills can have various impacts ranging from sedation and pain relief to focus and euphoria. Depending on the individual and the potency of the THC pills, the whole experience can last anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours.
The capsules are available in many THC potencies, including 2mg, 10mg, 25mg, and 100 mg. Starting with 5 milligrams (mg) of THC or less and waiting at least two hours before taking more is an excellent way to figure out the correct dosage and cannabinoid profile for you.
Give It A Try For Different Experience
Consider taking THC pills if you’re looking for a new way to enjoy the medicinal or recreational benefits of cannabis. Pick some up the next time you’re at a dispensary, or try your hand at making your own.
But go easy on them until you’ve gotten a feel for how they work. The capsules or pills can be effective, but it’s easy to overuse them if you’re impatient because they take time to work.